AC outlet

Discussion about OutBacks "PS" enclosures

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor
My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

AC outlet

Post by Kent Osterberg »

Today was the second time that I had an electrician point out that the AC outlet provided with the PS2 wasn't site appropriate. First time was for a system installed in a basement. This one is in a garage. A GFCI protected outlet is required for these locations. It would be helpful to have a reminder about this in the PS2 instructions. Also it would be great if the box was pre-punched for the GFCI outlet; I believe that a standard outlet with coverplate would still fit.
Scott Payne

Post by Scott Payne »

I've passed on your suggestion about a note in the manual concerning GFCI outlet requirements. Thanks, it is a good idea. FYI, we are also looking to change the knockouts to accommodate GFCI square faces outlets.

Scott Payne
BoggyScott
Forum Whiz

AC outlet

Post by BoggyScott »

I guess this explains why I have a rectangular opening in my shiny new PS2 chassis, and a supplied standard AC outlet that can't be directly mounted therein using the existing mounting holes.

1. Is there a trick for mounting the standard outlet until I can get a GFCI outlet?

2. When I do get a GFCI outlet, will the oversize mounting holes on 3-13/16" centres suddenly make sense?

Cheers
-=BoggyScott
Robin Gudgel

Post by Robin Gudgel »

I see you have seen our transition to rectangular outlets. I guess we forgot to tell the girls that assemble the boxes that we are now supposed to use the rectangular outlets. There were about 50 that got out the door with the duplex outlets. We now are including the rectangular ones. They will also fit a GFCI outlet just fine. I actually tried one!
The manual does not reflect this change yet. I will get right on that.
Thanks.
BoggyScott
Forum Whiz

AC outlet

Post by BoggyScott »

My issue isn't with the rectangular opening, it's with the spacing of the mounting holes. Even if I had a rectangular outlet in my hand, I'd still be wondering how I'm supposed to mount it.

With the old style punch-outs, the centre screw location was used to mount the outlet. Even I could've figured that out. :-)

But with the rectangular punch-out, there are two large holes on 3-13/16" centres, bevelled for flat-head screws. The spacing of these holes doesn't match the screw locations on a standard outlet (about 3-1/4"). That's not all that surprising given the normal means of mounting an outlet in a box, but I'm thinking there must be some gubbins that holds the outlet, and in turn has holes to match the ones in the chassis.

This is not a big deal - I can think of a couple of ways to make it work - but I'm missing something here, either physically or conceptually.

Cheers!
-=BoggyScott
Robin Gudgel

Post by Robin Gudgel »

The holes spaced at 3 13/16 line up with the holes that you would normally screw down the cover plate with. You do not need a cover plate with this design. Get yourself a GFCI and it will bolt directly up with the screws in the GFCI box.
BoggyScott
Forum Whiz

Post by BoggyScott »

GFCI = Go Frickin' Cop It :-)

Once upon a time I could research electrical bits, hands-on, at a 24-hour Home Depot, five minutes from my house. It isn't quite that easy any more. Thanks for the help!
-=BoggyScott
BoggyScott
Forum Whiz

AC outlet

Post by BoggyScott »

Let's see if I can drive you crazy on this one.

I got a GFCI outlet, and now I get the joke about the hole spacing. In retrospect I realize I've never messed with any of them new-fangled rectangular outlets, GFCI or otherwise.

I'm sure Robin would know the technical name for a threaded hole in a plate that's pushed through into a dimple. Obviously I don't know that term or I'd use it.

With the outlet I have, the dimples are pushed towards the front of the outlet rather than out the back. As a result, the oval cover plate screws run out of thread long before they can get tight in the PS2AC box holes. As a temporary measure I've installed the cover plate to act as a washer, but that sucks. I'm going to replace the cover plate and screws with some actual washers and round head machine screws. It will look a little goofy, but since that side of the system is in a fairly tight corner it won't spoil the tours. :-)

-=s
-=BoggyScott