Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Jeff Near Houston
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Mobile VFX-3524 in 2006 Prevost Bus
Actually 2 Model VFX-3524 Stacked
Today 11-07-2021 installed four new NAPA (East-Penn) 8D AGM Batteries

No Success w/ FNDC Install in 2006 Motorhome

Post by Jeff Near Houston »

I am posting this in hopes of helping someone in the event another motorhome owner researches trying to find someone who has successfully added a FlexNet FN-DC to their motorhome equipped with Outback VFX inverter chargers.

Well... it was not me, and not for a lack of effort, excellent & detailed help (Raysun) and research.

The roadblock in my case (2006 Prevost H3-45 with DD Series 60 and single 50DN alternator) is that a shunt cannot be added "in-line" to measure alternator current.

Therefore, my journey to add the FNDC has sadly ended and my open-box FNDC and Mate2 (Mate2 purchased to replace my existing Mate2M) will have to go on eBay instead of in
my bus :(

***EXCELLENT INFORMATION ABOUT THIS ATTEMPT CAN BE FOUND HERE:

Thanks again Raysun!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16821
Jeff Near Houston
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

Re: No Success w/ FNDC Install in 2006 Motorhome

Post by JRHill »

This was a really specific and specialized topic. I appreciate your rolling lifestyle though. We are quite the opposite. Some say we are locked in and maybe we are (and its probably by design/preference). Last weekend we had 5" of slush that mostly froze and another 6" of winter mix turned to snow over the top. We haven't been out. We couldn't be happier but we need to do a feed run. Ah, that's chains on all 4 wheels just to take them off before the Hwy and then put them back on to get home.

Yup. Off-grid folks like me are a strange bunch. Then there are those HI off gridders who live like masters of the universe. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16954
provo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Two SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V
(300Ah total)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Grid connection (no selling)
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

Jeff Near Houston wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:02 pm
... a shunt cannot be added "in-line" to measure alternator current.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but I'm not sure about your statement above. A quick Google search turned up this link:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f1 ... 53849.html

where several people say it can be done (on a boat anyway) ...
Jeff Near Houston
Forum Whiz

provo wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:40 pm
Jeff Near Houston wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:02 pm
... a shunt cannot be added "in-line" to measure alternator current.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but I'm not sure about your statement above. A quick Google search turned up this link:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f1 ... 53849.html

where several people say it can be done (on a boat anyway) ...
Hello Provo - believe me...I wish it could work in my application, yet my alternator, which has its own neg to chassis ground, is also grounded through the engine via its cradle mount. Some boats can be ordered with an isolated alternator ground, in which case, it would work. I just failed to do enough homework in advance of purchasing a Mate2, FNDC, and a 50mv/500 amp shunt :(
Jeff Near Houston
Jeff Near Houston
Forum Whiz

JRHill wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:33 pm This was a really specific and specialized topic. I appreciate your rolling lifestyle though. We are quite the opposite. Some say we are locked in and maybe we are (and its probably by design/preference). Last weekend we had 5" of slush that mostly froze and another 6" of winter mix turned to snow over the top. We haven't been out. We couldn't be happier but we need to do a feed run. Ah, that's chains on all 4 wheels just to take them off before the Hwy and then put them back on to get home.

Yup. Off-grid folks like me are a strange bunch. Then there are those HI off gridders who live like masters of the universe. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16954
I enjoy solitude, yet in various locations :)
Jeff Near Houston
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

Post by JRHill »

Jeff Near Houston wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:03 pm I enjoy solitude, yet in various locations :)
Yes. we hear occasional stuff way overhead from SEA and PDX. That lets us know civilization hasn't crashed. Maybe a way distant log truck's jack brake - that's kind'of music in a way. Tonight we hear the snow flakes in the trees.