Isolating myself from seasonal sites low voltage power.

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in RV Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

ryankenn
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Nothing yet!

Isolating myself from seasonal sites low voltage power.

Post by ryankenn »

I am trying to see if the VFXR series could work for me.

The site has a 20A breaker, but is at best 110V in the trailer, when I have my max load (around 12-15A) it drops to 100V and depending on other sites as low as 94V.

I wanted to have a couple of large batteries and run the entire trailer off of them through an inverter, and use a charger that can accept the sites low voltage and still charge them. The issue is I can only draw 20A ( and I would like it to be less). The VFXR datasheet seems to indicate that unit could draw a max of 60A which obviously is far to much. Is there a way to limit the incoming Amp draw by limiting the charge current?

I also do not ever want the unit to switch me to AC mains. The voltage has already wreaked havoc on our fridge. It can switch to propane if for some reason the charger couldn't keep the batteries full enough so I am not worried about that.

Any insight would be great, thanks!
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Isolating myself from seasonal sites low voltage power.

Post by raysun »

An AC input current limit can be set on the VFXR class inverters. 20A is no problem.

When AC input is accepted by the inverter - two actions occur:

• The inverter circuit reconfigures from battery inverter to battery charger mode.

• AC IN is routed directly to AC OUT.

The inverter cannot draw current from the battery for inverting to AC, and charge the battery simultaneously.

To accomplish the scenario described - "shore power" never feeding the "house loads" and only used for battery charging, separate AC battery charger and battery inverter units would be needed.
SandyP
Forum Guru
My RE system: 8 x 190W 24V Suntech panels (4 strings of 2) July 2011
4 x 325W 24V Suntech panels (2 strings of 2) added Sept2018
Mate2
Outback FM60 MPPT (max output lowered to 55amps)
12 x 2V Hoppecke GEL 612 Ah C24 - 24V System (June 2011)
Outback VFX3024 Inverter/Charger
Victron BMV-602s
Honda 5.5kW Genset

Re: Isolating myself from seasonal sites low voltage power.

Post by SandyP »

ryankenn wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:23 pm ../..The site has a 20A breaker, but is at best 110V in the trailer, when I have my max load (around 12-15A) it drops to 100V and depending on other sites as low as 94V.
../..
I also do not ever want the unit to switch me to AC mains. ../..
The VFXR has AC input limits as follows :

 Voltage (GRID input selection): 108 to 132 Vac
 Voltage (GEN input selection): 108 to 140 Vac
 Frequency (both input selections): If the output frequency is set to 60 Hz (default), the input
acceptance range is 54 to 66 Hz. If output frequency is set to 50 Hz, the input range of acceptance is
45 to 55 Hz.

So, outside these limits the VFXR will drop the incoming AC and revert to AC inverting from the battery bank - so your appliances will never "see" voltages less than 108Vac.

Therefore, depending on how often your grid AC is below 108Vac you may find you do not have enough good grid power time to recharge the battery bank.
-------------------------
http://spwebcam.myddns.me/