RV-Park Model

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in RV Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Texsun
Forum Junior Member

RV-Park Model

Post by Texsun »

This is my first time on participating in a "forum" and I am a new owner of an older RV (1994).

I guess before I ask if there is anyone with the patience to hold the hand of a less than knowledgeable person wanting to capture as much natural energy as possible, I should ask for the best books to read that will break down the practical application of installing solar panels on my "stationary" RV.

I mean a book that will break it down to apple and oranges and sticks and stones, with pictures. I'm a middle aged female and did take basic electricity in college, but 30 years ago so I understand the concept, but I'm not or never have been an electrictian.

I hope what I learn can help other, and look forward sharing anything I learn with other newbies when the time come.

Living in an RV park, I meet many travelers and we love to talk about everything, but I have NEVER met anyone with solar assistance yet.

Thanks.
The stars are bright, deep in the heart of Texas...
sparky
Forum Emperor
My RE system: OFFGRID SOLAR "we go where power lines don't" Design, consulting, and installation advice on 300+ Offgrid homes.
Location: Sierra Mountains near Mariposa Ca. Webpage on next line

Post by sparky »

I would subscribe to Home Power magazine. Their CD knowledge base is good if you have a computer. The magazine is the industry standard and will link you to all the usual suspects !

They may not be the standard for industry folks but I think they are.......
Jim L.
Forum Guru

Post by Jim L. »

Howdy

Sparky is giving you good advice on the "Home Power" magazine. You could find back issues in the public library and college libraries. Most libraries let you do a catalog search on-line.

Some of the back issue articles are on the web. They are scattered about, though.

Other web sites are the Florida Solar Energy Center, and Sandia's Photovoltaic Center. There is a lot of tutorial info on the web if the library is out.

Best regards
Jim L.
JStefan
Forum Junior Member

Solar..

Post by JStefan »

so if it is useful to you:
I own and drive the last 16years a RV with Solarpanels (220Watt) so may be I could assist.. ( but sorry .. not in correct writing - germany.. but i will do my best)

stefan
The boys getting older and the toys are getting bigger
freddysolar
Forum Member

RV System Info

Post by freddysolar »

Hi,

Some of the best documents on RV solar installations I have come across are published and are available in Australia. They are inexpensive (approximate cost about $US30 to $US35) and postage/freight is surely available worldwide.

Have a look at:
http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/html/ ... ivers.html

The books "Motorhome Electrics & Caravans too!" and "The Campervan and Motorhome Book" are outstanding and the content is easily comprehended by lay-persons as well as having excellent technical detail.

(Note: Motorhomes, campervans and caravans are broadly Australian terms for "RV").

The Author, Collyn Rivers is an expert in the field.
Also worth having a search of "Collyn Rivers" via google.

I wish to state I have no business, personal relationship or contact with Collyn Rivers.

Hope this helps. Fred.
Battery-Grid Tied System. PSA 5kW grid/battery/battery charger Inverter. MX60 Charge Controller. 3.02 KW Qty 48 Unisolar US64 panels connected 6 panels in series for each bank with 8 parallel banks. 48 volt, 42,000 watthours battery bank.
tracydrennen
Forum Junior Member

Re: RV-Park Model

Post by tracydrennen »

Home Power magazine is great source but most of the information I used to find on YouTube. You may consider interesting the following article: https://news.energysage.com/rv-solar-panels/essaydune.com. A little weird you haven't met anyone with solar assistance living in an RV park with how much popular they've become.
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

Texsun wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:58 pm
This is my first time on participating in a "forum" and I am a new owner of an older RV (1994).
For Outback-centric discussions (with emphasis on inverters maybe), you probably can't beat the RV Applications board on this forum. If you haven't seen it (your post is in it!), click on "Board Index" up in the upper left of any forum page, and go down to the RV Applications Board. Looks like there's 64 topics so far for you to read through :grin: ...
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
[***2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC (2007-2020)]
- 2 grid-tied VFXR3524A-01's series stacked, ***replaced GVFX's (2020)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 Talesun 275W in series (DC array input to SB inverter/charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input (manual switch during grid outage only) from 14 Talesun 275W,
Enphase M215 microinverters, normally direct grid tied

All self-designed and self-installed

Post by Mike Curran »

tracydrennen wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:29 am Home Power magazine is great source but most of the information I used to find on YouTube. You may consider interesting the following article: https://news.energysage.com/rv-solar-panels/essaydune.com. A little weird you haven't met anyone with solar assistance living in an RV park with how much popular they've become.
Home Power back issues would be a good source. Note, alas, it is no longer published.
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

Mike Curran wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 am
Home Power back issues would be a good source. Note, alas, it is no longer published.
Just noticed the OP was in 2006! Dang, I've done that so many times ...