FX always shows full charge even when batteries are Low

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

Re: FX always shows full charge even when batteries are Low

Post by JRHill »

HawaiianDrummer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:40 pmI am and always have been the installer, programmer and maintainer of all my Outback Power installed devices for over 13 years here to date. I invest uncountable time over the years in learning from all here who have done this before.
OK. I had to ask. Lots of folks asking questions but if helps to have a background. You should know the special PHI handshake now - if only we had one. I proposed tickling the wrist of the other but that didn't go anywhere.

Anyway, can we go to basics? What are the programming parameters? What have you used all this time?
HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru
My RE system: 1-FM60's, 2-FM80's 2- FX3048's, Mate3, Hub 10, 12 US 64 w panels, 12 Kyocera
175 W panels, 21 Kyocera 225 W panels, 6 SimpliPhi 67 AH 48V. batteries for 402 AH Battery
bank, Flexnet DC and Optics RE

Post by HawaiianDrummer »

JRHill wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:51 pm
HawaiianDrummer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:40 pmI am and always have been the installer, programmer and maintainer of all my Outback Power installed devices for over 13 years here to date. I invest uncountable time over the years in learning from all here who have done this before.
OK. I had to ask. Lots of folks asking questions but if helps to have a background. You should know the special PHI handshake now - if only we had one. I proposed tickling the wrist of the other but that didn't go anywhere.

Anyway, can we go to basics? What are the programming parameters? What have you used all this time?
Aloha, Your question, "what have I used all this time" changes with ea type of battery banks I use. The existing "programming parameters" is a long list to compile at this particular moment, I am insulating, dry walling, painting entire guest house ceiling before occupants return from Canada. So when I can make time to show you the specs I input from Outback Power guide lines I will, although that encompasses "a lot". David
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

Ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet. 😉 3 - 3.5 years is about right. Of course, lead-acid and lithium both can have a much longer service life, even when driven to rated maximums.

For lithium and lead both, the number of cycles varies with the depth of discharge. Rated for lithium is 80% DoD (20% SoC). Lithium can be discharged to 100% (0% SoC), but if done frequently, cycle life is shortened materially, as is capacity.

1000 cycles at 100% DoD would be admirable. The battery may have 75% or less of original capacity at that time.

After a dozen+ years, you surely have a good sense of consumption. Next is to balance capacity and charging to match for maximum practical battery life.
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFXR3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3s, FNDC, 4ea 3.8 PHIs. EU7000is AGS. X240 with big Bertha way off in the shop. Off grid.

Post by JRHill »

HawaiianDrummer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:12 pm
JRHill wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:51 pm Anyway, can we go to basics? What are the programming parameters? What have you used all this time?
is a long list to compile at this particular moment
You obviously have a connection. Are you using OpticsRE? Going to the device under device map lets you D/L and save the parameters to a file. Also a great way to save previous settings when experimenting. Yes, maybe you know this already but others read and learn. I do this much more often than paper notes. The specs are known already. What are the the programmed settings you are using? Inverter, FM and FNDC?

Best wishes with the project and hope the weather cooperates where you are.
sodamo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo »

JRHill wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:29 am
HawaiianDrummer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:12 pm
JRHill wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:51 pm Anyway, can we go to basics? What are the programming parameters? What have you used all this time?
is a long list to compile at this particular moment
You obviously have a connection. Are you using OpticsRE? Going to the device under device map lets you D/L and save the parameters to a file. Also a great way to save previous settings when experimenting. Yes, maybe you know this already but others read and learn. I do this much more often than paper notes. The specs are known already. What are the the programmed settings you are using? Inverter, FM and FNDC?

Best wishes with the project and hope the weather cooperates where you are.
Thanks, Jim
Didn’t see how to save to a file, but had never looked at that before. Thanks
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Two SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V
(300Ah total)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Grid connection (no selling)
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

sodamo wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:01 pm
Didn’t see how to save to a file, but had never looked at that before. Thanks
At the bottom of every device map are the buttons Print, Discard, and Apply. Like you, I never noticed Print before. Print to a PDF or whatever....
sbrownian
Forum Czar
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3 4 port HUB
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Off grid.
Originally installed with 1200 AH of FLA Locomotive batts.
Replaced after 9 years of service with 2 x 300 AH ReLion Lithium packs.
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

The local mate web interface also offers a file backup.

It creates an .xml file, but with a bit of practice, you can figure out the structure and what the values are.
Information, you get not; if incorrect question, you ask..
HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru
My RE system: 1-FM60's, 2-FM80's 2- FX3048's, Mate3, Hub 10, 12 US 64 w panels, 12 Kyocera
175 W panels, 21 Kyocera 225 W panels, 6 SimpliPhi 67 AH 48V. batteries for 402 AH Battery

Aloha, Here's my setup
download/file.php?id=5472

sorry I could not figure out how to get word file to copy and paste, hope this works for you. David
Attachments
Outback Power setup (1).pdf
(146.88 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Outback Power setup (1).pdf
(146.88 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

Shhh. Don't tell anyone I did something of value today. You'll wreck my reputation.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

Aloha David,

A quick scan of the configuration looks good.

I recall reading there's an FNDC in the system, but its disconnected?
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

This is my first summer with lithium. With the days at their longest something happened I didn't expect. The batteries were charged to 56.4 by 11am. That sounds cool, doesn't it? But there wasn't any 4+ hour absorb like with the lead batteries. And the float voltage was turned down so I didn't keep the lithiums up high. So somewhere around mid day after the charge cycle completed I was running off the batteries clear through that day and night and to sun up the next AM. ~18 hours on batteries with only a little coming in from float.

There is a thread where I kicked this around with Rayson. What I did was kick up the charge controller float voltage in steps of 0.2vdc. I started at 53.1 and kicked it up to 53.3. Whoa, that made a difference and it really helped with the next morning's voltage. Then I went to 53.5 and that helped more but only a little difference the next morning. On a normal sunny day I hit the 56.4 set point (actually its always 56.5) for the few minutes and then the voltage drops back to float at 53.5 (actually 53.7 then 53.6) and it holds that until the sunlight starts missing the panels around 6pm. Prior to that with float at 53.1 after the batteries charged the voltage began a downward slope and by 5 or 6 pm the CC was calling for a charge that just wasn't there anymore.

Playing with return amps is possible but it was decided to go with Float voltage. That way on a laundry day or time in the shop with the air compressor, etc, the load was made up without intervention - float was maintained. With return amps there many be more or less than needed going to the batteries. By SimpliPhi's docs the batteries' SOC is ~100% at 53+ and that is going for 6 hours on a sunny day.

Anyway, this is what came to mind with your system's behavior having popped up now at the longest daylight of the year. Dunno if it fits but an idea for you. You are already floating at 54.0. Does that voltage hold until the sun is out of range?

Best, Jim
HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru

Aloha, end of the day update. Raysun I only disconnected FNDC temporarily a day ago to charge the batteries full with gen then I reconnected FNDC and recalibrated voltages on FM's and FX's
JR Hill thanks for reminding us that our setups can be viewed with Optic RE that's a good resource.... only when I read all my settings one line showed sell voltage and showed grid tied! I know that I set it all to off grid settings. (I went out and checked it and it was as I set it for off grid) Weird that the optics RE setup printout showed grid tied???
JR Hill yes my float voltage holds constant with full sun days until end of daylight. On that matter I am hoping that using float is not the culprit for quicker discharges after dusk over the last year. Probably not, might just be our high usage and more than normal heavy cloudy skies these past years. Regards, David
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

I am hoping that using float is not the culprit for quicker discharges after dusk over the last year. Probably not, might just be our high usage and more than normal heavy cloudy skies these past years.
Float, in and of itself, will not cause higher discharge, or capacity loss. However, its commonly recommended not to hold a lithium battery at full charge for extended periods. The question is - what constitutes an extended period? SimpliPhi specifies a 54V Float Voltage, and warranties their batteries for that value, so I assume Float from the time the battery is fully charged, to sunset, is not considered extended.

(For myself, I prefer not holding the battery at 100% SoC for any period of time, no matter how brief, so use a lower Float voltage that draws off a small amount of charge over the Float cycle, ending at 98-99% SoC.)

The FNDC and Optics are good tools for tracking battery discharge. With the FNDC, the SoC tracking is a convenient metric, but the critical measure is battery discharge in Amp Hours. Assuming a 400AH battery, fully charged (100% SoC) the recommended maximum discharge is 80% of capacity (80% Depth of Discharge). That would work out to 400 x 80% = 320AH discharge. This, of course, assumes a new battery with full capacity. After 3 years of hard use, I'd be tempted to derate capacity by 10% or 400 - 40 = 360AH. Discharging 80%, 360 x 80% = 288AH estimated usable capacity.

With the FNDC enabled,, the web application on the Mate shows a "snapshot" of Net Battery AH on the Summary page. If you're up with the chickens, before the PV Arrays/Charge Controllers wake up, you can get a quick read on consumption since last fully charged. (It will be a negative number.) If its in the -275 to -300 AH range, you can be sure the battery is being drawn down heavily by loads.
20210727_211243.jpg
450AH battery, discharged a net -75AH since fully charged today.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

Raysun, thank you for the above info regarding the Mate3/Mate3s web app. Starting a new thread in the Mate3/s forum.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

HawaiianDrummer wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:02 pmAloha, end of the day update. Raysun I only disconnected FNDC temporarily a day ago to charge the batteries full with gen then I reconnected FNDC and recalibrated voltages on FM's and FX's
Just a day ago since your reply but guessing many of us are probably curious about the results from charging the LI batteries to full and recalibrating the FNDC to full charge and the voltages on the FM/FX stuff.

I know you have other priorities... just hoping you gained some ground on this.
HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru

Aloha,
I've been busy with insulating and dry walling the ceilings in guest house....still more to do, so in answer to:
Just a day ago since your reply but guessing many of us are probably curious about the results from charging the LI batteries to full and recalibrating the FNDC to full charge and the voltages on the FM/FX stuff.
Yes when unplugging FNDC fully charging batts, recalibrating voltage readings on charge controllers and inverters, the readings are the same +/- 1 vdc now making it easier to know the true voltages at the time I check them.
Other than that, here in cloudy weather East coast Hawaii, where we live it still follows that with full sunshine we get full power but with mostly cloudy to heavy clouds that has been occurring more recently then the voltage only gets to 75 per cent charge and gives low warnings some early mornings. That is when I try to run the generator ahead of time, to avoid any shut downs. David
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

the readings are the same +/- 1 vdc
Was this intended to read +/- .1 vdc?
sodamo
Forum Emperor

Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
12 SimpliPhi 3.8

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
Mate 3s

Honda EU7000i

Post by sodamo »

Good to hear from you David.
We just hit CPM about 5 minutes ago. Nice to see sun. 132.2 inches rain ytd. and only August.

When you get ready to replace those small PV, might want to look here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMVDxfZBskg/. Their inventory is constantly changing.

Don’t envy you your project. About reply to finish up my own drywall project. Converting my container into a caretaker suite. Drywall maybe be ready to paint end of week. I borrowed texture hopper/sprayer from our neighbor, Mike.
David
HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru

Aloha, raysun to answer your Was this intended to read +/- .1 vdc?
When I can see voltages from FM's at 54.8 and FX's at 54.6 and battery at 54.7 that is close enough for me to see the true average as opposed to how it use to read .6 vdc differences from each before I re calibrated. David
HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru

Aloha, Sodamo yes it is good to see full sun early all day here too, full charge met early and plus amp hrs. now! In reference to solar panels at a nice low price.....currently I only use the 21 ea. 225 w and 12 ea. 175 w panels, I disconnected the 12 ea. 65 w panels because the old FM60 took a dive years ago. Like you know with so many other projects to devote $ to, other things come 1st by priority on the long list! Good luck with your sea container conversion! David
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

HUI HAMAKUA NE!

You wanna come down to Ka'u and fetch your rain?

Inch and a half in the last two hours. We're supposed to be a dry forest here!

AWUE!
😆
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:21 pmWe're supposed to be a dry forest here!
11.48" since October here. I'm so sorry y'all are soggy. Not.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:11 pm
raysun wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:21 pmWe're supposed to be a dry forest here!
11.48" since October here. I'm so sorry y'all are soggy. Not.
Right? The west coast forests are suffering mightily. 😬
sodamo
Forum Emperor

Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
12 SimpliPhi 3.8

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
Mate 3s

Honda EU7000i

Post by sodamo »

13760F07-459B-45F6-A7FC-0A3A62472E37.png
And much of our island is in drought. I’ve seen smaller numbers in Dec.
David
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

One can only fathom it from their point of reference. Here is one of our "Mother Oaks" that sheds acorns that feed livestock and a *bunch* of wildlife. It is by a pen with water resources that gets filled every day. All that run off is right by the tree:
Oak2.jpg
Yes, David, that's the weather station. We have seen the acorns getting sucked back into the tree in years past - it's a survival thing for the tree. The acorns end up being like raisons. But this year after the acorns shriveling, the leaves have gone way past curling in the heat. They are dead in front of us and dropping way before fall. This 'ol oak would be a good part of a winter's firewood but I don't want it for that.

So when a tree gets watered regularly and still expires its scary. And that's one that has access to water. We have a bunch+++ more outside of our 'perimeter.'

Oh, please, can we have 5% of your runoff? 132":11.5" Its not fair. There should be a law.