Future planning: Combining two systems

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC, 3ea 3.8 PHIs. And still, a wonderful wife.

Future planning: Combining two systems

Post by JRHill »

When I started this project 12 years ago the first priority was water. With the well drilled and sleeved we had a Grundfos AC/DC pump set. It's its own 48v system originally with 1x3 panels later changed to a 2x2 since I had a spare panel in the shop and that was just silly to have it sitting there. Its been mostly failure free through all the years except for new Trojan golf cart batteries in Oct 2016 and a replacement of the MS controller later. At 48vdc it runs about 720 watts full load so with the four 195w panels and can run all day and still charge/maintain the batteries. But with the low charge and discharge rates I can see the writing on the wall in battery performance. I still have some time to ponder.

Option One is to keep it as is: Eight FLA golf cart batteries and the Morningstar CC. Replace the golf cart batteries and continue on. Option 1.5 is a smaller 48v SimpliPhi its environment gets too close to its minimum operating temps.

Option Two is to simplfy (heh). Just plug it into the house system for 120vac continuous. Even if the house system failed the well pump is a non issue for its draw (which BTW goes up with the greater potential at 120vac) by just plugging into the generator to charge the two 80 gallon pressure tanks. I could take three of the well pump panels and build out on the house framing which still has room for those three.

Last consideration: in the cloudiest times both the house AND the well panels get no direct light. I can charge the house system but not the well batteries. I can take it off line by plugging it into 120vac but that doesn't charge the well batteries in low light or snow cover.

Going back to the beginning, water is a priority. If not for water we are screwed. But having two separate systems is not the risk I thought it would be originally. Besides, I have all this distilled water stocked up for FLA battery maintenance. (teasing) It doesn't make the best tasting coffee.

What would you do?
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Future planning: Combining two systems

Post by raysun »

With your setup, I'm not sure.

With my setup, 100% off grid, everything runs off AC from the inverter(s). Grunfos MQ3 pump, every manner of household appliances, 2 refrigerators, 2 freezers, lights, A/C, heaters.

8 decent GC2 @ $200 = $1600. For a mere grand more, get a 4th Phi. Be done with messing around. Don't know about the 4 PV/Morningstar, but if its compatible, there's no reason it can't throw some bulk charge at the battery.

On generator, everything is managed from one spot. The VFXR has Support mode. If there was no other reason to upgrade, that is for off grid ops. Trying my damnedest, I took 9kW off my system on genny, and it didn't even blink.

The trains run on time, the water gets pumped, the bread gets baked.

What else is there?
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied VFXR3524A-01's series stacked, replaced GVFX's (2020)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS. Tigo ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 Talesun 275W in series (DC array input to SB inverter/charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input from 14 Talesun 275W, Enphase M215 microinverters

All self-designed and self-installed

Post by Mike Curran »

How far is the pump from the house system? Could you install a permanent tie between them?

My barn Skybox system is a separate backup system for its heating system pumps, overhead door, emergency lights et al, but it still has a grid tie for selling back and battery charging when there are multiple cloudy days.
Besides, I have all this distilled water stocked up for FLA battery maintenance. (teasing) It doesn't make the best tasting coffee.
I use RO water - it's not that bad :grin:
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC, 3ea 3.8 PHIs. And still, a wonderful wife.

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pmget a 4th Phi. Be done with messing around.
Ah yeah. You confirmed it.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pmthe bread gets baked.
Good coffee. Good bread. You HI folks have it somewhat good. But good rattlesnake, you have to come here. Its all about the breading and temp until it falls apart in your mouth.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

Mike Curran wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 pm How far is the pump from the house system? Could you install a permanent tie between them?

My barn Skybox system is a separate backup system for its heating system pumps, overhead door, emergency lights et al, but it still has a grid tie for selling back and battery charging when there are multiple cloudy days.
Besides, I have all this distilled water stocked up for FLA battery maintenance. (teasing) It doesn't make the best tasting coffee.
The well is 75' away in pipe, 50' straight line. If I did a hybrid, I'd like the well to kick out at, say, 51vdc and go over to the 120vac until the batteries came back up. But none of the equipment in place does or is capable of that. Nor is there a COS device that does that.

I may SimpliPhi with another battery.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

There's a linear conductive device that will do the trick just fine. I don't know the model number you need but it goes by the brand name: Romex.

Even DW will agree KISS is the way to go.
sodamo
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo »

Went thru similar drill a few years back. Had originally built our cottage to live in as we built the house. Cottage is 300 ft from house and was totally standalone, own water pump etc. Built it’s PV system from a Home Brew schematic @ 12v, then upgraded to 24. Even had it’s own generator. After a few years, time for changes.
In the end I found it easier to trench down to the house and just connect to main house. With current tenants it accounted for about 17% of my use last year.
As Ray said, just add the SimpliPhi...
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:37 pm
raysun wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pmthe bread gets baked.
Good coffee. Good bread. You HI folks have it somewhat good. But good rattlesnake, you have to come here. Its all about the breading and temp until it falls apart in your mouth.
LOL! Tastes like chicken! I had enough close encounters while hiking the Gorge, thank you very much.

Good bread is surprisingly difficult to produce here. Two factors: we can't grow grain, cereal rust is unmanageable; and we have the most expensive electricity in the nation, tough to run those commercial ovens. The Punalu'u Bakery in Na'alehu near us does make the much beloved Hawaiian Sweet bread though.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

JRHill wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:32 pm
raysun wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pmget a 4th Phi. Be done with messing around.
Ah yeah. You confirmed it.
I bought the 3 Phi busses with the batteries. They weren't cheap. So if and when I add a fourth Phi, I suppose I could Ebay them. Phi's installation instructions were quite explicit about separate and identical length cables to each battery if not using the bus. So cabling another battery to the buss doesn't seem feasible.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

I went the same route, but using the dual block bus bars. It does lock one into a fixed geometry that is difficult to expand.

My approach was to reporpose my IBR-3-48 battery rack. Since it had disconnects for each shelf, and bus plates to connect 3 sets of cables, it pretty much dictated the Phi-2 bus bars. Since I ended up replacing virtually every cable on the rack, I toyed with the idea of hitting up OB for a wiring harness "retrofit kit" to convert the rack to an IBR-3-48-Li. I wasn't convinced such a SKU existed, so went the Phi-2 BBB route.

The in "for a penny, in for a pound" option would be to buy another Phi-3 bus bar set, and put two blocks on each one, or sell the Phi-3 bars, and replace them with Phi-2 bars. I'd be tempted towards the former, as it would leave expansion space for two more blocks.

Jeeze Louise, I love spending your money! 😉
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

My negative battery bus is 1 1/2" copper tubing squashed in a press and folded over and squashed again with ends and through holes silver soldered. But I am not so adventurous any more. But it's still in service. NO corrosion.

As you said, raysun, KISS.
jsmith
Forum Member
My RE system: 12 Shell SQ 165 and 175 (2kW)
MX60
2 FX3048T
X240 Autotransformer
Mate (original)
FNDC
Hub-4
Hawker PowerSafe AGM Battery, 1800 Ah
Northern Lights 8 kW Diesel Generator

Post by jsmith »

If not pipe, have you considered buying copper busbar stock? A quick search found https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H9LG8Y/re ... UTF8&psc=1 with numerous thickness, width and length options.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

jsmith wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:47 pm If not pipe, have you considered buying copper busbar stock? A quick search found https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H9LG8Y/re ... UTF8&psc=1 with numerous thickness, width and length options.
jsmith thank you. When I fashioned the negative buss I had to do it quickly. I didn't have many options where Iive. This is pretty cool and inexpensive and a way to bridge the Phi batteries, adding another.

Again, thank you. And the scrap pieces? They are great for vice jaw pads. My old ones are mostly worn out.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

Mike Curran wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 pm How far is the pump from the house system? Could you install a permanent tie between them?

If still using FLA batteries and batteries of the same type/size, maybe. But I'd need a pretty substantial set of cables to reach 60'. And there is no way I'd put L16's in the well pit for that service. I already had a problem with too lightly loading the house batteries which was a reason for their shortened lives. Having L16s in the well pit and the expense, no way.

Now with the SimpliPhis in the house and with the rather stringent direction on cables it could not be done. Taking the above advise it is time to retire the well's solar and just go with the 120vac feed off the house. I'll add three of the four panels to the house roof. The part of the rack that is open is the last part to get exposure as the sun arcs and that is why its not been used before. Besides, I really don't need more panels for the non-winter season. And in the winter there isn't enough sun regardless of how many panels I add with snow cover (not this year), shade from the top of the canyon or just plain heavy cloud cover. I had also considered retiring the well solar and running 48vdc from the house bank to the well.

The worse part of this is 1) relocating the well panels from a mast to the roof and 2) trenching a new 120vac line to the well pit vs an extension cord from the shop in the rare cases I ran the well on 120vac instead of solar. Nah, Mr Raysun and Mr Sodamo convinced me it is in my best interest to make the system simpler.

Now I'll have a nice four panel mast. It will make for one heck of a bird house.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

Oh, and one other thought regarding the future: Each year I notice that the max output from the panels is degrading. They are approaching half life to the advertised 90+% output at 25 years. It would seem they will not achieve that guaranteed output but SunTech went through bankruptcy so the warranty is worthless anyway. There were times in the past that the flow through the FM was darned near rated output. I haven't seen that for several years.

This is an interesting one because I am not going to replace the original panels any time soon. I have more available roof space but the pitch is not prime - its just a more complicated frame that can adjust for the pitch. But more panels will require another CC. When I add the three panels from the well to the house I am still good with the FM80 but adding another string or two will require a major addition like an FM60.

I can't be the only one considering the addition of more panels to make up for aging panels?
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:05 pm There's a linear conductive device that will do the trick just fine. I don't know the model number you need but it goes by the brand name: Romex.

I tried to search out the Romex brand name but all I get is the wire.
sodamo
Forum Emperor

Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
12 SimpliPhi 3.8

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
Mate 3s

Honda EU7000i

Post by sodamo »

I try to believe “Simpler is better” yet wife assures me I find it elusive.

Case in point I’m currently having to redo my internet, seems AT&T plan I have for cellular LTE wants to throttle me after 3 1/2 years of decent performance. Replacement will be Verizon requiring a new mast mounted antenna about 90° west of current AT&T Yagis. This means new cable run. As bad as it is drilling holes in a 4x10, cement walls with foam and metal while perched on a ladder, even worse trying to more than double the size of the existing holes and not damage the 4 cables. Took me more than 3 hours ☹️.
David
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

sodamo wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:09 pm I try to believe “Simpler is better” yet wife assures me I find it elusive.

Case in point I’m currently having to redo my internet, seems AT&T plan I have for cellular LTE wants to throttle me after 3 1/2 years of decent performance. Replacement will be Verizon requiring a new mast mounted antenna about 90° west of current AT&T Yagis. This means new cable run. As bad as it is drilling holes in a 4x10, cement walls with foam and metal while perched on a ladder, even worse trying to more than double the size of the existing holes and not damage the 4 cables. Took me more than 3 hours ☹️.
The DW doesn't want me on an extension ladder. Frankly, I don't want to be on one either. But that's one thing. Getting to the Yagi for our cell booster (verizon band but roaming at 1x) is across the roof to the end where the mount is located 25' up. Its a metal roof. That's also the ridge where new panels would have to be installed when that time comes. The panel mounts would be cool. If I lean to their side they will save me from sliding off the roof. I've thought about a harness but the tin edge would probably cut the tether. There are certain things that shouldn't be done anymore. I did quit drag racing motorcycles. Begrudgingly. Ladders and roofs are the thing these days. But I still get to run a chain saw.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:00 pm
raysun wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:05 pm There's a linear conductive device that will do the trick just fine. I don't know the model number you need but it goes by the brand name: Romex.

🤣🤣🤣

Thats the one!
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:30 pm

🤣🤣🤣

Thats the one!
Hook line and sinker.
sodamo
Forum Emperor

Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
12 SimpliPhi 3.8

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
Mate 3s

Honda EU7000i

Post by sodamo »

That was a good one on the ROMEX, Raysun. Having pulled a few miles of it in my lifetime...

Jim, we have a metal roof. Quite common here innHawaii, especially if on catchment.
I purposely designed at 3:12 pitch. Makes my PV off 3-4°, but I live with it. Almost put in anchors, but decided it was just adding opportunity to develop leaks in future.

Here is antenna setup
62D292DC-AED2-40A2-AB70-1659176CBF30.jpeg

After today’s work
049D0CA5-5C24-47EE-B942-492D618A752C.jpeg
Expect to mount the verizon panel antenna at top of pole.

Wife and I discussing how dirty our PV must be. That roof is also 3:12
C5698B33-F47B-4DA6-8516-F94DD86D2B96.jpeg
I think my best approach is via the tractor with wife at controls. I can do a platform on my pallet forks ad manage pressure washer from there. Never cleaned them before. Thinking I will spray with garden sprayer with soapy solution first.
David
sbrownian
Forum Guru
My RE system: GS8048 FM80 FNDC Mate3
4kw solar
7kw Kubota propane gen
Had 1200 Ahr FLA Locomotive batts
Just replaced with
2 x 300 Ah ReLion Lithium packs
MUCH more efficient!!

Post by sbrownian »

JRHill wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:02 pm
raysun wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:30 pm

🤣🤣🤣

Thats the one!
Hook line and sinker.
So, I don't have to play straight man anymore? :mrgreen:
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

It depends on who you are addressing. I suppose I deserve everything that comes my way. I'm gonna go eat some worms.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Its a tough room, but we're here all week.