EU 7000 Generator Fuel Aux

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC, 3ea 3.8 PHIs. And still, a wonderful wife.

EU 7000 Generator Fuel Aux

Post by JRHill »

Has anyone used the aux fuel tank for the EU7000? Is it reliable?
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: EU 7000 Generator Fuel Aux

Post by raysun »

Hey Jim,

Are you referring to a Honda part, or one of the after-market setups?
JRHill
Forum Emperor
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC, 3ea 3.8 PHIs. And still, a wonderful wife.

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:34 pm Hey Jim,

Frankly, Rayson, I was liking one of the aftermarket kits that would allow me to use the many jugs I already have to tote fuel back from town. that seems the easiest for my purposes.

Maybe I should ask this question instead: Is there a recommendation for an adapter that fits a standard 5g jug that some one uses?
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

JRHill wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:12 am
raysun wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:34 pm Hey Jim,

Frankly, Rayson, I was liking one of the aftermarket kits that would allow me to use the many jugs I already have to tote fuel back from town. that seems the easiest for my purposes.

Maybe I should ask this question instead: Is there a recommendation for an adapter that fits a standard 5g jug that some one uses?
I can't answer your question, but I did a lot of looking at extended runtime fuel systems for the EU7000is. I didn't get one, but the Pinellas Power system looked the most appealing.

I, like you, have to schlep 5 gallon gas cans to Costco, unload them from the truck, fill, reload, then unload at home. A hassle, and it would be nice if the heavy lifting stopped there. I decided, however, that a marine-style fuel tank would be a better choice for storage and feed. I'm not an expert on the intricacies of the fuel feed valves on those tanks, but fuel out / air in, without introducing air into the fuel line, looks like it takes a tricky brass and plastic assembly that doesn't appear would be easy to integrate into a small form the size of a 5 gallon gas can cap. Maybe there is one, but definitely there's 20 - 30 gallon poly marine fuel "topside" tanks that will work without headache.

Think of it as a $300 gas cap with bonus storage.
JRHill
Forum Emperor

Post by JRHill »

raysun wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:45 am Think of it as a $300 gas cap with bonus storage.
When I posted this I was forecasting into the low sunlight season this winter. Little did I know it would arrive the next day as smoke. I got a max of .7kW of solar yesterday of 3kW of panels and its worse today. So the generator is firing off more right now as it will be this winter. I'm really stretching these 'ol L16s.

Raysun, I've had my feet slip out from under me more than a few times carrying 5g jugs. I can Gator a few jugs from the pickup to the generator but still, mud or an iced path sucks. I don't want too much fuel around the generators or battery bank. The thought of an aux fuel source off to the side has some safety advantages but with the downside of more fuel in the area. The Pinellas Power set up is now $400+ but with its own fuel pump is interesting. Gritting my teeth I'm thinking that may be the way to go.

BTW, we are not in any fire path at this time. It's just the wafting in of the total of the west coast plus regional fire smoke and ash due to weather patterns. It's just plain nasty air. When the air goes to the east its heavy wood smoke. When it goes to the west its cooked/scorched ground which is a stink that's hard to describe as it contains homes and towns, etc.
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

It took us 60 days and an erupting volcano to hit the worst air in the world mark. You folks did it in 5 days! 😬

Glad you are in a relatively safe zone.

The Pinellas unit takes some work to install. His video is over 2 hours long! But it does look like its a functional solution.