My RE system: Inverter: Outback Power VFX3524
Solar Charge Controller: Outback Power FM80-150VDC
Battery Monitor: Outback Power Flexnet-DC
System Controller: Outback Power Mate-B Flush
1.8 kW array

FX Set Up After New Battery Install

Post by tavo2527 »

Hey Everyone,

I finally swapped really old FLAs with four S6-460 AGMs on a 24V system (https://3415913.app.netsuite.com/core/m ... 6&_xt=.pdf)

I've tried working through different videos for a Mate 2 setup alongside a Flexmax 80 but want to ensure I have the proper settings. Is there some place on Outback's site I can plug some battery spec information into that shoots out the appropriate system settings? I've adjusted Absorb & Bulk at 29.4 and Float at 27.6 and set the Absorb time to 2.5 hours but not sure if that is adequate. Is there anything else I should be doing?
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A-01, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
REC Alpha 440W panels - 2 arrays: each of 4 strings of 2 in series
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: FX Set Up After New Battery Install

Post by raysun »

tavo2527 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 am Hey Everyone,

I finally swapped really old FLAs with four S6-460 AGMs on a 24V system (https://3415913.app.netsuite.com/core/m ... 6&_xt=.pdf)

I've tried working through different videos for a Mate 2 setup alongside a Flexmax 80 but want to ensure I have the proper settings. Is there some place on Outback's site I can plug some battery spec information into that shoots out the appropriate system settings? I've adjusted Absorb & Bulk at 29.4 and Float at 27.6 and set the Absorb time to 2.5 hours but not sure if that is adequate. Is there anything else I should be doing?
I'm not aware of any such "battery wizard". With so many battery types and variations, it would be difficult maintaining such an application.

The authoritative source will be the battery manufacturer. Rolls has more comprehensive charging guides than the attached, and good technical support. The proper parameters for your system would best come from them.

One factor that, IME, is important for charging VRLA cells is the proper amount of Absorb time (which can vary from cycle to cycle, unfortunately.) Too little, and the battery will be undercharged. Too much and overcharging will cause venting, loss of electrolyte, and permanent loss of capacity. To address this, most manufacturers will recommend Ansorb charge until the net charge current equals 1%-3% of the C20 AH capacity.

In an Outback system, the FlexNet DC battery monitor can accurately track the charging amps and signal the Mate to terminate the Absorb charge automatically.

Another important factor is to use Temperature Compensated Charging. If not in place already,, the OB Remote Temperature Sensor connected to the inverter will support this.
tavo2527
Forum Member
1.8 kW array

Post by tavo2527 »

Thanks this is helpful! I do have OB Temperature Sensor installed and will reach out to Rolls directly on some of this as well.

Last question. Do you know how the State of Charge is calculated on the Mate2? Is it a combination of inputs that calculates what 100% is associated to for full capacity? I watched and Outback video on setting up the Mate3 but it seems the Mate2 doesn't have the exact same process for calibration. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

tavo2527 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:45 am Thanks this is helpful! I do have OB Temperature Sensor installed and will reach out to Rolls directly on some of this as well.

Last question. Do you know how the State of Charge is calculated on the Mate2? Is it a combination of inputs that calculates what 100% is associated to for full capacity? I watched and Outback video on setting up the Mate3 but it seems the Mate2 doesn't have the exact same process for calibration. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
The Mate itself does not calculate battery State of Charge (SoC). It reports the calculations of the FlexNet DC (FNDC) battery monitor. The FNDC uses Battery Capacity (in AH) and the measured flow of current into and out of the battery to derive SoC.

When the FNDC "wakes up" from a powered-off state, it sets SoC to 100%. This may not be accurate, but once the battery is fully charged, becomes so.

Once you have the charging specs from Rolls, we can walk through Automatic Charge Termination. A function supported by the Mate with data from the FNDC.
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Two SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V
(300Ah total)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Grid connection (no selling)
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

Link to the Rolls manual:

https://www.rollsbattery.com/wp-content ... Manual.pdf

Read the entire section on AGM's.
tavo2527
Forum Member
1.8 kW array

Post by tavo2527 »

Read it.

I have 4 S6-460AGM so following their math for absorption time I arrive at the 1.9 hours as well.

I've already set the charge voltage is 29.4 and float voltage to 27.6. I do need to make sure Equalizing is off. Am I missing anything else?
raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun »

The only other thing I would do is enter the Battery Charging parameters in the FNDC.

AC Capacity = C20 capacity of the battery
Charged Voltage = 0.2V lower than the Absorb voltage of the lowest charger (usually the inverter charger setting.)
Charged Time = 1 minute
Charged Return Amps = 1-3% of C20 for a new battery. I'd pick the 2% value
Charge Factor = the battery charge efficiency. Rolls may state a number around 90-95%

With the proper values in place, Auto Charge Termination can be enabled in the Mate. This will provide a more accurate charge than Absorb Time alone.

Make sure the FM80 End Amps = 0
Last edited by raysun on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Two SimpliPhi 3.8-m-24V
(300Ah total)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC
Grid connection (no selling)
Honda EU3000is generator

Post by provo »

tavo2527 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:00 am
I've already set the charge voltage is 29.4 and float voltage to 27.6. I do need to make sure Equalizing is off. Am I missing anything else?
This is more of a best practices than a setting thing, but I think it's important to charge at the recommended rate (especially not lower), and also to avoid frequent shallow discharges (like day after day of only 10% of capacity removed.)

I had Rolls FLA's, so I'm not sure if AGM's are as sensitive to those things -- just a heads up.