This forum has been closed

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

ericwahl
Forum Guru
My RE system: (9) SW230mono, XW-60-MPPT, SW5548

grid-connect with subpanel

Post by ericwahl »

Hi,
I am getting ready to move into a new office, to be built within an existing commercial space with it's own service. The entire space is mine. I would like to feed a new subpanel for the new office lights and outlets with a grid-interactive FX system. If I put the PV disconnect next to the service entrance, and add the FX system in line on the supply to a subpanel, does that sound like it will meet utility specs for an interactive system? I know you can't know what my AHJ would say, but does that sound workable?

Thanks.
Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor
My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Post by Kent Osterberg »

Eric,

The NEC requires an outside disconnect for the pv array. If the pv wiring passes through the building in route to the pv disconnect, the AHJ may require metal conduit between the array and the disconnect. The pv array disconnect should be near the service connection. If you have batteries, you'll probably have to have a disconnect for the inverter output that is accessable to the utility company too. Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

Kent Osterberg
ericwahl
Forum Guru
My RE system: (9) SW230mono, XW-60-MPPT, SW5548

Post by ericwahl »

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kent Osterberg:
<strong>Eric,

The NEC requires an outside disconnect for the pv array. If the pv wiring passes through the building in route to the pv disconnect, the AHJ may require metal conduit between the array and the disconnect. The pv array disconnect should be near the service connection. If you have batteries, you'll probably have to have a disconnect for the inverter output that is accessable to the utility company too. Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

Kent Osterberg</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right- thanks. I also found out I need a lockable disconnect on the AC output, near the service entrance, so we will feed the inverter through that. Lots of wire and conduit, but not too bad.

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Eric W. ]</small>