FX noise/idle current

Discussion about the FX2000 Inverter
This forum has been closed

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

billvon
Forum Expert

FX noise/idle current

Post by billvon »

I've been using an SW2512 as a backup power system for a few months now, and I've had a few problems with it, primarily noise and idle current when left running all the time. The SW's silent mode with grid-usage timer doesn't seem to work well for grid interactive applications.

So:

Is the FX2000 line quieter than the SW inverters?

I note in the specs that it will draw 18-20 watts in idle; is there a way to have a "silent time" (say, at night) where the inverter will remain off unless power goes out?
rid

FX noise/idle current

Post by rid »

Bill,

Outback inverters make no noise. They are true sinewave.

It's hard to hear the FAN when it turns on ( Seal inverters ).
The SW's have a high metalic noise and are not true sinewave.

Idle power is something else.
Christopher

FX noise/idle current

Post by Christopher »

Yes - the OutBack inverter/chargers are much quieter than the SW series - both the sealed (FX) and vented (VFX) models.

The vented unit does make some fan noise when it is running larger loads or charging hard - but it is still much quieter than the SW.

The SW uses two fans which "beat" in and out of sync with each other and has a steel sheet metal chassis which vibrates from the magnetic fields of the transformers.

The OutBack inverters use a single fan and have a aluminum die casting instead of sheet metal. No beating or vibration during operation.

The OutBack also has a "silent" mode built in which turns off the charger once the battery is full - and this system is also coordinated with our grid-tie system. This eliminates the noise and performance losses common in grid-tied SW based systems which stay on all night long wasting power.

With the OutBack grid-tie system, the night time power consumption is ZERO watts AC from the utility grid. We even isolate our internal power transformer from the utility grid to eliminate its losses at night. The utility power is still passed through the inverter - and, if an outage occurs, the inverter immediately disconnects the loads from the utility grid and powers them from the battery - all within 8 milliseconds or less. [img]images/smiles/converted/sun_smiley.gif[/img]

With the SW inverter system, even in silent mode (which doesn't work when in the SELL mode) it draws around 10 watts AC from the utility grid to just keep the transformers magnetized. In the current grid-tie mode the idle consumption increases as it "float" charges the battery continuously - using 50 or more watts all night long. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

<small>[ November 03, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Christopher Freitas ]</small>
flaplante
Forum Whiz
My RE system: - Panels 3512 watts in 5-72v strings:
6-PhotoWatt PW1000, 12v, 100w ea in series
6-PhotoWatt PW750, 12v, 90w ea in series
6-Evergreen EC-102, 12v, 100w ea in series
4-Evergreen EC-180, 18v, 180w ea in series
4-Schott Poly235, 18v, 235w ea in series
total nominal output 3412 watts

- Batteries: 24v, 900ah 16-Trojan 6v 225ah T105-RE,
- Inverter: 2-Outback GVFX3524, both with FW 001.100.000
- Chg Cntlr: 2-Flex80, #1 w/FW 002.000.000, #2 w/FW 002.001.000
- Metering: Outback FlexDC w/FW 001.000.070
- System Control: Outback MATE3 w/FW 002.004.009
- Monitor Software: homegrown web app pulling data from Mate3

FX noise/idle current

Post by flaplante »

Hmmm I think you ought to include the noise and power savings info in your sales literature. Those are serious selling points especially for people on a severe power budget or in small rural homes where noise is a real problem. Certainly I will be mentioning them to peope around here asking me for independent power advice.
billvon
Forum Expert

FX noise/idle current

Post by billvon »

Thanks for the info! I guess it's just a matter of waiting for FX grid-tie approval (and rewiring for 24 volts.) Would be nice to not have to switch to silent mode every night to get away from the problems of the SW.

Question from one of your statements:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">With the OutBack grid-tie system, the night time power consumption is ZERO watts AC from the utility grid. We even isolate our internal power transformer from the utility grid to eliminate its losses at night. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So at night you run the inverter's electronics off the DC bus? Are we talking a few milliamps here?
boB

FX noise/idle current

Post by boB »

I think the draw is about 3 Watts.
(from the DC side)

boB

<small>[ November 05, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: boB Gudgel ]</small>
Christopher

FX noise/idle current

Post by Christopher »

The power at night for the inverter does come from the battery.

As Bob said - its around 3 watts per inverter. Most of this power goes to keeping the AC input transfer switch (relay) closed to keep the utility power connected to the AC loads. If a MATE is connected it will draw another 1 to 2 watts DC as well (the power consumption depends on backlighting mostly).

The early morning output of the PV array will typically replace this loss fairly quickly before there is enough power available to justify the inverter turning on to sell back to the utility. So the impact on the system performance is minimal.

Christopher

[img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]