Discussion about the FX2000 Inverter
This forum has been closed

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

billvon
Forum Expert

RV usage question

Post by billvon »

A question on the 12V FX2000 inverter:

I've seen announcements that Outback will offer a 12 volt inverter for RV applications. I currently have an RV that I've been upgrading, and I will likely use either the Outback or the Prosine 2000W inverters. AC loads include a 1000 watt A/C and a microwave; battery bank has been upgraded to accomodate these loads (440 AH.) Most of my use of the RV will be boondocking, or camping away from sites with full RV hookups. I will have around 150 watts of solar on the roof, but that generally that won't cover A/C usage.

One issue that's come up on occasion is opportunistic charging. I'll be at an event that has a little power available, say via a power strip in a tent. I will not be able to draw 20 amps from this; even 10 amps to run the A/C would be a bad idea. I'd like to be able to limit my draw to 5 amps or less The old SW inverters had a 'generator support' mode that allowed the inverter to support a larger load than the generator could handle; will the Outback FX inverters have anything like that? (I know they will back off on the charger if the AC load exceeds a setpoint, but I'd need more than that.)

Also, I note that the FX has separate settings for generator or utility power inputs. How does the FX tell which one is being used? Is there any way to use an external transfer switch, then somehow 'notify' the FX that the input has switched from generator to utility?
Robin Gudgel

RV usage question

Post by Robin Gudgel »

Bill,
The FX will be able to run your air conditioner. I am not sure that a Prosine can start it?
The FX does not yet have gen support. That feature is very similar to grid tie. We are working on grid tie and will be able to include this feature into the RV version at some point in the future.
We are also working on two inputs for the FX. There are a couple of ways to accommplish it and we must try them all.
billvon
Forum Expert

RV usage question

Post by billvon »

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
The FX will be able to run your air conditioner. I am not sure that a Prosine can start it?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm pretty sure it will be able to. I currently use a Prosine 1000 (inverter only, no transfer switch) and it seems to work fine. Average A/C load is 900 watts, starting is around 2000.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
The FX does not yet have gen support. That feature is very similar to grid tie. We are working on grid tie and will be able to include this feature into the RV version at some point in the future.
We are also working on two inputs for the FX. There are a couple of ways to accommplish it and we must try them all.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's good news; thanks!