12 V FX2000

Discussion about the FX2000 Inverter
This forum has been closed

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Dave Palumbo
Forum Member

12 V FX2000

Post by Dave Palumbo »

What will be the approximate retail price of your 12 volt FX inverter?

And simply name where it differs from the 24/48v FX's.
rdmcghie
Forum Whiz

12 V FX2000

Post by rdmcghie »

Dave,

Form what I understand the Aux feature is just a two wire signal. (On/Off) You should be able to use it however you like, so long as you do not exceed its current capacity.

The PSMP is probably not necessary for a "safe" installation but it sure made installation easier. I do not think you can support breaker boxes using only sheet rock. Inverters are way to heavy and would probably fall off within seconds. The problem is not heat but weight and insuring a mechanically sound connection to the supporting structure.

It is my understanding that the 12V FX2000 is intended for mobile use and will have different features appropriate for that use. It will not have the grid tie features the 24 and 48V FX2000s will have.

Robert
Dave Palumbo
Forum Member

12 V FX2000

Post by Dave Palumbo »

Robert,

We regularly install big boxes and heavy (Trace SW) inverters on 3/4" plywood which is lagged onto the walls studs. Never any problems with weight. My concern has to do with the disapation of heat and if the FX inverter can be safely installed directly on plywood. The steel mounting panel will certainly act as a heat sink to help cool the inverter and it will protect the wood also.

So, my question still stands and I will slightly rephrase it. Is the FX inverter approved for mounting directly to plywood?

Dave
rdmcghie
Forum Whiz

12 V FX2000

Post by rdmcghie »

Dave,

I was told that the FX2000 will have efficiency ratings in line with SW inverters. Thus, I would not expect heat to be a problem with regard to mounting them directly on a sheet of 3/4" plywood. If you take a look at the Heavy Metal Tour Post Card, you will see that the aluminum case on the FX2000 has lots of fins and surface area to help keep it cool. I doubt that a PSMP would do much with regard to cooling. Once it is covered up with a PSAC, PSDC and inverters, not much area will be exposed to aid in cooling.

Robert
Christopher

12 V FX2000

Post by Christopher »

The 12 vdc version will be in the same price range as the 24 and 48 vdc units.

As far as model numbers - it will be the FX2012M and it includes the necessary neutral/ground switching circuit required for vehicle applications. The design of this circuit allows it to be defeated in the field if you are using the FX2012M in a non-vehicle application.

Other than that and the fact that it will not "sell" power to the utility it has very similar features and performance.
Christopher

12 V FX2000

Post by Christopher »

The FX2000 should be fine mounted directly to plywood - although I know of some inspectors that insist on all the components being mounted on a "fire proof" surface. In this case I have placed a layer of sheetrock over the 3/4" plywood and bolted everything through the sheetrock.

Since we do not have openings in the inverter for ventilation, we actually present less hazard than other inverters.
KU9L
Forum Whiz

12 V FX2000

Post by KU9L »

Is the future 12 volt version of the FX2012M going to be exclusively for single use or will series/parallel combinations be allowed? We are looking at buying a 9 year old off-grid homestead with an existing very well built PV/wind hybrid system, however I'd like to replace the old Trace 2512 inverter with a FX2012M or even a pair of them if possible. The battery bank is almost new at 2,000 amp-hours, but cannot be re-wired to 24 volts without replacing it because of the use of 2 volt cells. Also, the majority of the lighting and appliances are higher quality 12 volt DC. Next to every pair of AC outlets is a pair of DC outlets with horizontal spades. Aside from upgrading the charge controllers and inverter, this system is just about ideal already. -Dave
administrator
Site Admin

12 V FX2000

Post by administrator »

The 12 volt version will be able to be hooked up in series and parallel. There are very little differences between units. The main difference is transformer turns ratio and FETs. We will be required to use the absolute best FETs made for this unit. Even then we don't know if it will do 2000 watts continuous. Features will be very similar since we start with the code for the 24v unit. We plan on qual testing a 12 volt unit in a couple of weeks. However production is not yet scheduled. We are not able to keep up with demand for the 24v units yet. The SW2512 is a pretty good inverter. You may want to wait until it breaks before replacing it.
Robin
KU9L
Forum Whiz

12 V FX2000

Post by KU9L »

Who said it was a SW2512? If so, I probably would keep it, but the original black square old Trace 2512SB modified square wave inverter vibrates in a real annoying way, AC appliances draw ~15% more power from it, and the CF lamps buzz like crazy. I find very few reasons to keep it long term other than maybe as a museum piece or to keep a row boat into place. It would probably outlive me though as it was built like a tank, however I don't intend to try to pretend it will stay long term without getting replaced. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think that for the most part 2000 watts continuous is a rare need for most remote off-grid homesteads, but for a few homestead shop tools I can see where a second one in parallel would be handy from time to time. -Dave