Discussion about the FX2000 Inverter
This forum has been closed

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Dave Palumbo
Forum Member

FX 2024 Availability and more ?'s

Post by Dave Palumbo »

Cristopher and Marty,

When will distributors have inverters in stock?
I have customers getting really upset now since I've been telling them two to three weeks since early Sept. as this is what I was being told by OB and distributors.

What is the audible noise level of your inverter compared to a SW4024?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dave Palumbo:
<strong>Cristopher and Marty,

When will distributors have inverters in stock?
I have customers getting really upset now since I've been telling them two to three weeks since early Sept. as this is what I was being told by OB and distributors.

What is the audible noise level of your inverter compared to a SW4024?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The inverters are built - we are still dealing with some software issues and making changes based on the feedback of the Beta testers. We have been hoping to send out the production units "tomorrow" for several weeks now.

I would rather disappoint you with the delivery date than with the product.... But I know an unhappy customer is an unhappy customer...

As far as the audible noise level - it is much quieter than the SW under all conditions - especially at high power levels (when the SW has its dual fans running full speed). Most of the time you can not hear if it is running - that is why we included LEDs in the wiring compartment and a clear polycarbonate cover - to allow the user to see it is actually running! We do have an internal fan which is bolted to the top casting and some of the bearing noise is conducted - but its a fairly low frequency noise.

<small>[ December 03, 2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Christopher Freitas ]</small>
Dave Palumbo
Forum Member

Post by Dave Palumbo »

Christopher,

That's great news on the audible noise level.

Now another concern I have for my first install (off-grid) with your FX2024 is interference from the inverter to my customer's TV. Under present plans the inverter and batteries will be, about, 12 feet from the TV. This worries me because the TV comes in fine now on his generator power and if he has interference from the inverter it is not a good initial impression.

As an alternative we could put the batteries /inverter power center in the barn (where the PV panels will be located, 60' away) and send the AC over to the house instead of the 24VDC. (Cost of the DC wire run is not too bad with a small array I'm specing 2/0 AL).

The big reason we are not already planning to have the batteries in the barn is for battery temperature reasons. The barn will often be -10 to +10 degrees F for 4 to 5 months a year. And the budget will not allow for a battery bank of twice the size to compensate for the below zero temps. Heating a small room in the barn is an option for some people but is also costly.

Thank you for being available to answer these questions, it is always helpful and much appreciatted.

Dave Palumbo
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

We have had a few people report some issues with lines on TVs in the beta testing. Seems to be a conducted emmisions issue and not radiated. We are working on a filter design / modification to address this. Its not an issue on cable or with VCR or DVD - just with antennas with the lower stations.

So - putting the equipment farther from the antenna may help - but I think we can address it externally if required as well via a small in-line filter on the in and out cables to the inverter.