stacked FX2000's and AC input options

Discussion about the FX2000 Inverter
This forum has been closed

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

shastatodd
Forum Expert
My RE system: SYSTEM ONE:
A single, turbocharged GVFX-3648 inverter (includes DT kludge for generator charging); 4.5 kW STC of actively tracked PV; turbocharged FM80 charge controller; eight, Surrette FC-420 lead calcium wet cell batteries; E-Meter (Link-10).

SYSTEM TWO:
A single, sealed GTFX-2524 inverter; 2.0 kW STC of actively tracked PV; turbocharged FM60 charge controller; four, Surrette FC-420 lead calcium wet cell batteries; E-Meter (Link-10).

The combined inverter systems typically sell an average of 20 kWh/day.
Peak summer selling is around 40 kWh/day.

Post by shastatodd »

I just got back from the Outback training and will post this same question I asked at the training. I notice the FX2000 has only one AC input unlike the SW's 2 (grid and generator). I do off grid and battery backup, grid tie systems. Both often want generator backup. With the FX2000 it appears that an external transfer switch will be necessary to feed 2 separate AC sources into the inverter.

With stacked units (240 split phase output) a likely configuration for most systems, there are once again 2 AC inputs (one on each inverter). It would be great if one could be used for grid in and one for generator in. Is it possible that there might be software provisions for this type of configuration? As it is configured now what "conflicts" might arise if both inverters in a stacked system were fed out of phase AC sources?

Todd Cory
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Hey Todd - We are looking at this issue and trying to see what is possible.

The FX2000 was designed to require a separate external AC transfer switch for a second AC input (grid + generator specifically). Including two AC inputs on each inverter was not done due to the cost, impact on reliability and the additional complexity it adds to the building block approach. An external AC transfer switch is much simpler and the cost is only added to systems which require it.

When you have four FX2000 there is the option of using two of the AC inputs for the utility grid input and two for the generator input. This is an interesting idea. The current software will not support this option however due to how the control of the multiple units is completed. We are looking at this (an some other similar options) for a future software version.

So for the moment, an external transfer switch will be required. Contact me if you need help sourcing one for your application.