Forum Member
My RE system: System installed around 2007

MX60 Charge Controller (x4)
FX series Inverter / Charger (x4)
Mate (x2)

OutBack support in the DC/MD/VA area

Post by kr8009 »

Hello,

I’m struggling to find support for an OutBack Power System that came with the home I purchased in 2007. I have contacted OutBack directly and received several suggested companies to call, but they are out of business or not interested in supporting my system. At this point I’ve probably talked to six local solar companies. None interested. I’m at a loss as to what to do, as I’m not willing to DIY given my minimal knowledge about electrical systems.

Besides replacing my system with something with a stronger retail support network, any suggestions on how I might proceed? You would think that in the Washington DC area I could find residential support but I haven’t. Perhaps someone on this forum knows

Thank you.
provo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric
Honda EU3000is generator

Re: OutBack support in the DC/MD/VA area

Post by provo »

kr8009 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:30 am
At this point I’ve probably talked to six local solar companies. None interested...

Besides replacing my system with something with a stronger retail support network, any suggestions on how I might proceed?
I'm in the same situation here. Nobody wants to help upgrade or even troubleshoot an ancient system -- all they want to do is replace it completely with something they're familiar with. If I ever wanted a major upgrade I'd probably hunt around for an electrician to help rather than a solar installer. I'd collect all the manuals online, print them out if they wanted (how quaint), and the electrician would likely need some prior experience with solar. Probably get a better result overall.
raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun »

Declining to work on systems installed by others seems to be a common pattern industry-wide. With most installers busy putting in new systems, its hard for them to engage in an indefinite debugging effort which is unlikely to pay well enough to make it worthwhile. Having to send one's most experienced people to track down a corroded battery connection, a failed circuit breaker, balky inverter, mis-configured system, or a myriad of other issues takes away from the company productivity, and most homeowners won't be willing to foot the bill in any event.

It doesn't matter what brand you have hanging on the wall, if the system didn't come with a support contract, it's unlikely it would get lifetime support in any form.

That reality is precisely why I chose Outback. Living literally in the "outback", the likelihood of on-site support was slim to none. I had a qualified electrician do all my house wiring, and I provided and maintain the source of AC.

A fifteen year-old system may be due for replacing in any event. This gear lasts a long time, but not forever. Batteries have a finite service life, and are considered consumables. Solar panels are usually pegged at 20 year life, but may fail for a number of reasons. Replacing a 15-20 year old solar panel with a compatible unit is not usually economical. Power circuitry in equipment has components that wear with age. Replacing individual power capacitors, etc., is a challenge for some DIY'ers out there, but it is far easier and more effective in the long run to replace the equipment entirely.

Even with limited ability and experience, certain issues can be identified and resolved by the homeowner with some help like that provided on this forum. Are you interested in following that path?
kr8009
Forum Member
My RE system: System installed around 2007

MX60 Charge Controller (x4)
FX series Inverter / Charger (x4)
Mate (x2)

Post by kr8009 »

Thank you raysun.
Even with limited ability and experience, certain issues can be identified and resolved by the homeowner with some help like that provided on this forum. Are you interested in following that path?
Yes, I will give that path a try. I’ll write something up.

Bob